This is how you perfectly cook a bone-in rib eye that pairs beautifully with a glass of red wine, like Carnivor Shiraz.
- 2 kg bone-in ribeye, cut in 1-bone portions and 2-inches thick
- 3 tbsp grape seed oil, divided
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 6 medium-sized whole beets, unpeeled
- 3 whole Spanish onions, unpeeled
- 2 lbs Chanterelles mushrooms, cleaned and torn into pieces
- 2 lbs Oyster mushrooms, cleaned and torn into pieces
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Set your oven to 200 F (very low).
- Season meat with 1 tbsp of grape seed oil, salt and pepper. Place in oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile heat your charcoal grill to a high temperature – get it as hot as you can, 500 F to 600 F. Once the flames on the charcoal cease, bury the beets and onions in the ash. Leave until a knife can easily be inserted, approximately 1 hour. When cooked, remove from grill and let cool. Peel onions and beets and cut into bite-sized pieces. Place in medium-sized bowl and season with olive oil and salt to taste.
- When beets and onions are cooking, place a large frying pan over the heated charcoal grill and add remaining grape seed oil. When pan starts to smoke, add mushrooms. Cook for 2 minutes until mushrooms brown, then toss, and cook for another two minutes. When the mushrooms are tender and appear lightly browned remove from heat. Add butter, salt and garlic and mix until combined. Let sit for 5 minutes. Reheat mushrooms in pan, over grill when ready to serve.
- Remove meat from the oven and place on grill. Sear meat on each side for approximately 3 minutes for medium-rare, until the steak is caramelized all over and looks dark brown, or to desired doneness. Remove meat from grill and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice the rib eye and serve with onions and beets and sautéed mushrooms. Enjoy with a glass of Carnivor Shiraz.